The Rostrum of African Music was created in 1975 to support and highlight the music of the African continent through radio broadcasts, taking into account not only the diverse and rich music traditions of the continent but also the various popular and art music styles which were inspired by these traditions.
- To promote, via broadcasting stations and similar organizations, authentic and valuable examples of different styles of traditional and contemporary music of Africa
- To promote the production, dissemination and exchange of musics from the region through radio stations and other media such as television and the internet, but also through live performances
- To establish and develop better cooperation among African broadcasters in order to achieve a broader dissemination of African music.
- To facilitate music education in the region by providing specific examples of African music, as an educational tool to learn about the musics in the region
- To contribute to a greater valorization of the rich heritage and musical traditions by raising awareness and building knowledge among the public, especially youth
- To develop new strategies for the programming and dissemination of African music
- To recognize and encourage young talents.
The following Rostra were held over the years:
|1||1970||May 25 - 27||Paris|
|2||1972||July 5 - 7||Venice, Italy|
|3||1975||October 21 - 25||Accra, Ghana|
|4||1979||February 3 - 5||Dakar, Senegal|
|5||1981||Jan 31 - Feb 1||Tunis, Tunisia|
|6||1983||January 21 - 23||Algiers, Algeria|
|7||1985||January 26 - 27||Brazzaville, Congo|
|8||1997||February 2 - 7||Dakar, Senegal and Nairobi, Kenya|
|9||1990||February 19 - 21||Dakar, Senegal|
|10||2010||November 17-20||Douala, Cameroon|
|11||2014||August 2-8||Brazzaville, Congo|
Since 2010, IMC has been working on the revitalisation of this regional Rostrum, in close cooperation with its regional group, the African Music Council. The 10th African Music Rostrum under a new formula was held in Douala, Cameroon, on November 17-20, 2010.
In the framework of the African Music Development Programme, the 11th edition of the African Music Rostrum was held in Brazzaville, Congo, on August 2-8, 2014.